Turkish Tourist Visa Information - eVisa and Calculator
Information updated 02 January 2015
(Applies to more than 100 countries including UK and many European passport holders).
Tourists and visitors from many countries require a visa to enter Turkey unless you hold a Residence Permit. Tourist/visitors visas last for 180 days but holders are only allowed to stay in Turkey for up to 90 days in ANY 180 day period. Multiple visits are allowed provided the total number of days does not exceed 90. All calculations should include both the entry and exit dates, no matter what time of day or night. Some countries (such as France, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, Ukraine etc.) are exempt so do not require a visa but must still comply with the max 90 in 180 day rule and special rules/arrangements exist for some countries. Click HERE for a full list of countries. UK passport holders require a visa.
Visas should be obtained on-line BEFORE you travel to Turkey (see below for details).
Overstaying the 90 in 180 days or remaining in Turkey after a visa expires will result in a fine and possible re-entry ban. Regular visitors should be careful when planning their dates as the 90 day in ANY 180 day period could span more than one visa.
A new visa does not mean a new 90 days
It works like this: When you exit Turkey the border guards will will count back 180 days and then calculate how many days you have been in the country within that 180 days, regardless of when your visa started. This means that in some cases the 90 in 180 day rule may span two visas. It is called the Schengen or "count back" system.
Passports must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry and at least 3 months from the date you leave.
Also from 1st January 2015 a new twist to passport validity to enter Turkey came into force. Not only will your passport need to be valid for 6 months from the date of entry but it will also need to be valid for at least 60 days beyond the expiry date of your visa. That effectively means that if you arrive in Turkey on the first day of your visa your passport needs to be valid for 8 months instead of 6.
Our FREE calculators below will do all the maths for you. Simply enter your visa start date and the dates you have been and plan to be in Turkey and the calculator will alert you if any of your dates will result in an overstay as well as calculating your minimum passport validity date.
Tourist Visa Calculators
Check if these rules will affect your travel plansDownload Jan 2015 Version
Best option if you have a spreadsheet application
(select "Save" option & download)Use Online Calculator
Your browser needs to accept "third-party cookies"
(opens in new window)
Many thanks to Juco for providing the math formulae
All material on this website including this calculator is protected by copyright laws
Redistribution is strictly prohibited without our express permission
If you have problems using the calculators or want us to check your dates for you, complete This Form and we will provide you with a detailed personal calculation in return for a £10 donation
Online Visa Applications - How To:
Visitors should now obtain tourist visas online before they come - The whole procedure can take as little as three minutes.
Go to this website www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ read the information and requirements and click on the "Make a new application" link, you will need your passport details and debit/credit card to hand.
The price is 20 USD.
- You should apply for the e-Visa at least 24 hours before you travel although one week prior is advised.
- Each traveller must have his or her own e-Visa.
- Family and group applications are available, see FAQ page on the e-Visa website.
- The online payment system is only accepting payments in USD at this time, so your credit/debit card company will probably charge you an additional fee for foreign currency transactions. Other currency's may be introduced soon.
- It is still be possible to obtain a visa on arrival for the time being:
- The old sticker on arrival counters will remain in operation for a short while longer but the cost of purchasing one for UK passport holders is now £20 payable in Sterling cash (Scottish bank notes are not acceptable).
- It will also be possible to obtain e-Visas on arrival at Istanbul airport until further notice by using an interactive kiosk or your own WIFI smart device. We do not recommend using a kiosk as the cost is 50% more ($30) and may cause you excessive delays.